FreeRossDAO – July 29th Community Call Transcript

by | Jul 29, 2022

0:00 – Pre-Meeting

2:00 – Meeting Start

4:00 – Social Pod Updates

8:50 – Marketing Updates

11:30 – FreeOpsDAO Updates

22:10 – Jinxi’s Updates


Host:
Hey, Jess. Jess, did you get the cohost invite? Okay, cool. (silence)

Prosper:
Oh, it looks like it’s working now. It’s so funny how it always takes a minute.

Host:
It’s so weirdly delayed.

Prosper:
It’s so picky.

Host:
It even did that to Mark the other day.

Prosper:
I know we usually wait for everybody to show up, but we’re recording. Let’s just go ahead and run through it. It looks like we’ve got a lot of people out today. We’ve got people working on podcast stuff today. We got people on holiday. I think we can just run through it. (silence)

Host:
Oh, no. People are here.

Prosper:
Oh-

Host:
People are showing up.

Prosper:
People are here. Yay.

Host:
Good morning everyone.

Prosper:
Sending out those invites.

Schlomo:
What was that? People are here. [inaudible 00:01:45]

Prosper:
It was like it… it looked like from the chat, everybody wasn’t going to show up. So I was like, all right, let’s just go ahead and hop to it. Then it refreshed, and all of a sudden there was six of you all, when I started saying that it was just me and Prosper. (silence)

Buttercup:
Hi, everyone.

Host:
Hello.

Prosper:
Good morning, Buttercup, or good afternoon.

Buttercup:
Yep.

Host:
How was the podcast you guys were just on?

Buttercup:
I feel it was very good. Dylan asked a lot of questions and it really gave us the opportunity to have an overview on one side on Ross’s case, and try to go through some of the inconsistencies that there are in it, as well as just stuff that people can do to support Ross. And I think it went well. What do you think Risen?

Buttercup:
Yeah, I’d agree. It was some really… I wouldn’t say questions I’ve never heard before, because there was stuff that we had the answers to, but there were well thought out questions and had interesting angles to them. It was a lot of detail oriented case questions, and then he was very gracious to follow it up with a, how could we help that thing.

Prosper:
Awesome. That’s cool.

Buttercup:
He might be joining the spaces at some point, in which case, we will do a shout out to him.

Prosper:
That’s awesome. I’m excited to hear that podcast when it comes out. Was it live? Was it on YouTube?

Buttercup:
No, it’s prerecorded and he posts it.

Prosper:
Awesome.

Prosper:
At book club this week, we read another essay from the book and one of Ross’ articles that he wrote about… What’s the title? It’s a mouthful. It’s incentive based prison reform, I think. It was a great selection to go with the other essay that we read. I feel like we actually went longer on discussion this week at book club than we had been going, which was really nice. And then this week for media parties, we went through a bunch of YouTube videos that people compiled about Ross and different aspects of silk road. So we were watching.

Buttercup:
Is that compilation available somewhere?

Prosper:
I have the list. I think I posted it in one of the channels. I’ll DM it to you.

Buttercup:
Cool. The read from Ross’s medium on criminal reform was great. I think that at least it raises some questions, and it’s something that we also spoke about in the podcast in terms of the incentive system, which is very interesting to explore.

Prosper:
There was some interesting ideas that I think in some ways were almost less idealistic than some of the reform ideas that people come up with. It was a little bit of a trip. It was interesting to read. I liked it. I need to finish reading the rest of his medium posts because we should do more airings like that. Then we had a nice long chat last night for the letter writing party as always.

Rizzn:
The theme this week of the media watch was all harm reduction stuff. That was the videos that I watched while I was a part of it.

Prosper:
We did some videos that people had compiled about Ross, and then we did some harm reduction 101 stuff, because I have been like obsessed with this concept of silk road as harm reduction for a couple weeks now. I’m just trying to figure out exactly how to create that content and turn it into an actualized, maybe even similar to, reform pod thing, that we’re trying to figure out project for social media pod to work on.

Rizzn:
You’re familiar with the old Cathy [inaudible 00:07:19] book that I posted a few times, right?

Prosper:
Yes. I think it’s-

Rizzn:
Yeah. That’s like-

Prosper:
been an ear worm for me for a while now.

Rizzn:
Were there any other social pod milestones for the week?

Prosper:
We’re working on newsletters, so if there’s anything anybody wants to see added to the newsletter for this issue, let us know today because we’ll probably be putting that out tomorrow, if not tonight.

Rizzn:
Great.

Prosper:
That’s probably it for social media pod for this week. I know I have some ideas for stuff for next week.

Rizzn:
Anything you want to tease? We can talk about it.

Prosper:
Just sorting out the harm reduction stuff, and then maybe switching up the media party a little bit, because doing what ends up being like an eight hour stretch of watching YouTube videos is hard.

Rizzn:
Maybe even splitting up across a couple days or just consolidating it to one time zone.

Prosper:
I’m at across multiple days.

Rizzn:
Yeah.

Buttercup:
I just saw that we have Dylan who joined our spaces. So I just want to do a huge shout out to Dylan, who offered Risen and I time, and a space to talk about Ross. Thank you, Dylan.

Rizzn:
We very much appreciate it. It was a great experience. Schlomo, do you want to chat about marketing things? How things went this week? Any celebrations or things to look forward to for next week?

Schlomo:
Excuse me, I’m eating as I listened, so I was on pause. Nothing major happened this week. Just keep pushing along. I haven’t finished anything. I think we’re about to finish our budget for NYC NFT now, right?

Rizzn:
Yeah. Actually- [crosstalk 00:09:36] buttoned up. We’re just waiting for transactions to sign.

Schlomo:
Awesome! Put that to bed and then move into the next phase of the VR stuff. I wasn’t in our meeting this week, which I hear was a very exciting one, but I wasn’t able to bring up where we’re going with the VR. We’ve been trying to… We’re on the slow boat of trying to get it into some stores originally. I know the head of developer relations over in Oculus. Long story short, they don’t really put these sort of things in their game store, because it’s not really a game as they put it VR for good, is what meta calls it. So we’re doing the slow boat of connecting to that person who could try and put us into various VR situations like marketplaces, stores. Marketplaces doesn’t mean necessarily paid for, but just a distribution place that has VR people go and download VR stuff to get the piece out there. I need to talk to West about what we’re going to do internally. We’re redesigning our site, and with that, is going to come the VR page that you’re going to download this and the stuff we did for the exhibit, and all the other stuff that is a part of our doubt at this point. All that stuff I think is going to get started next week.

Rizzn:
Yes.

Schlomo:
Yep.

Rizzn:
As far as I understand. I think Mick is looking… If you and Mick have had your coordination call then it should be imminent.

Schlomo:
I have not done it, but it’s still imminent and we will get that done. Transparency. I haven’t seen the new branding stuff that came from… I forget the person’s name on the proposal who is over at PleasrDAO, but Marky said, it looks great. We’re going to just get started with that and get the version of [inaudible 00:11:44] that we are now up onto the site, because right now that site doesn’t really represent the work we’re all doing together. Billy, our next little week and a half, two week sprint, is mostly that.

Rizzn:
I can give some boring op spot updates. I’m moving numbers around.

Prosper:
Let’s hear it.

Rizzn:
Free ops now is hitting the end of the quarter, and that means we need to reconcile since our proposal dictated our budget’s going quarterly increments, reconciling the budget. Let me pull up the spreadsheet and I’ll give the exact number. We came in well under budget for this quarter. So that means we’ll be returning a lot of funds to the general coffers, and then being issued a new payment for the next quarter’s budget. The underage is $66,006.90 under budget. That’s really good considering we probably just went through the worst of the bear market, and things are going to start looking back up again. An interesting thing to note is our bounties budget. We were dictated to purchase about $14,000 worth of free to cover bounties during the last three months. We basically dollar cost averaged in over that time, and we issued significantly less than $14,000. I haven’t done the final calculation on the bounties, but it’s about a third of what we wanted to distribute or had budget to distribute. Interestingly enough, our governance token has gone up in value so much in the last three months that we actually now hold $17,000 worth of free. That’s having issued a third of our budget of free out, so that’s cool. Anybody that holds the governance token, you’re probably happy about that.

Rizzn:
Any other key takeaways worth mentioning here? Not particularly, anyway. Just generally good news. This is a good kind of Testament to this new mode of budgeting and we’ve accomplished a lot, a lot, a lot, and done so for far less than we told everybody that was going to cost. I feel happy about that. Hopefully everybody else does as well.

Buttercup:
Nice, congrats. I would love to know more as well since Jeremy is around about the solidarity network proposal, and know more or less what his timeline is, and when you want to be launching the proposal, and when you would want to be supporting the first organization that we’re going to be supporting through the solidarity network. Jeremy, want to run us through your ideas?

Jeremy:
For sure. How you all doing today, by the way? Free Ross writing. So we still got a draft floating around of the solidarity network proposal. You could see it in the discord, its in the reform pod channel. I think it’s tagged or whatever they call it. In the past week, I put some notes in a separate document, it’s also listed in that reform pod proposal. Just more notes and workflow proposals like, how would we develop this system, what are the features that we’d like in this type of system that would help us keep track of groups that we’re supporting, keep track of distributions, and a way for us to end a vote on collectively which groups we would like to be supporting for that particular campaign of that. We’re looking at supporting two groups a month per your recommendation, Buttercup.

Jeremy:
I think it’s almost ready to… I want to take a stab at it, but it might be ready to pass to the advisory council. I don’t think that no one raised any glaring issues. There was a little bit of the issues of the funds, so I knocked the number down by $6,000 in light of the fact that social media pod said that we could use their funds for the free budget. Maybe as a softer deadline by the end of next week’s meeting, we could have it in a state ready to show to the advisor council. At timeline wise, it would probably take a week or two more to develop a system in place. It could be as simple as a Google spreadsheet, but we could also develop something on our website, possibly even linking it to freeholders as an option. In short, the whole concept that you could read about it in the proposal, is all about supporting different organizations involved in criminal justice reform and prison related issues, material support to folks who are impacted by carceral systems.

Jeremy:
There’s a lot of different ways we could do that. So if anybody wants to be involved in that type of project, please check out the reform pod. If anybody else has any questions, we continue talking about it now.

Rizzn:
Actually I just upgraded the license for our forms software, that includes polling. Very little actual… We have that capability to support that now for your polling portion of that.

Buttercup:
I also wanted to ask, is the idea, once it goes through the advisory council and it is accepted that we start, will the first actions be in terms of defining as a community, which would be the first organizations that we want to support? Do you have options that you’re going to be bringing up to the community? How do you want to go at it? Would you want the community spread effort of trying to reach out to communities that align with the mission, or how do you want to go at it?

Jeremy:
Couple different ways. Folks involved in the group could also free to start engaging with different groups informally as well. The whole idea of creating this system would be a way that we could collectively as an organization, decide where we want to put our energy and resources too. We would develop a way that we would propose groups and propose actions. Then we could vote on those actions, the implementation that would be whether we go with this, the Google sheets, or we go with the poll system that you had set up, or something else. I had in mind that maybe we would line this couple ahead of time. Maybe not part of the proposal, but just so we could also show the advisory council, basically, what we had in mind as far as who we would be supporting and why would be supporting them, and maybe line up a few action items.

Jeremy:
We’ve informally been doing this anyway in the reform pod channel. If you’ve been taking a look, we’ve been posting various links to various news articles, but also various calls to actions and so forth. Those are all different examples of things that we could do. I wanted to… Maybe by next week, we would even have a few suggestions for the first couple projects, so that way we could give a better indication to the community, as far as like the type of work that we’d be doing. There’s also a list of organizations that I had linked too, but we’re not by any means, limited to that. The whole idea is that anybody here who’s involved in something or see something that is worth supporting, could bring it to the community’s attention and then could nominate it, and we could all vote it. That way we could be starting some outwards type of growth and stuff. Eventually we’ll have like a network of folks that we are actively involved in, and maybe that could culminate in some type of… Hopefully it’ll coincide with the end of Biden’s administration when he starts or so.

Buttercup:
When is that actually on schedule? If we were trying to see it as a deadline that we can work towards, when would that be?

Jeremy:
I think it’s a general question that probably would be better suited to somebody more closely related to Ross and Lynn, because we’re basically going along with their strategy, and echoing their talking points as far as the petition campaign, right? The petition for clemency and pardon. So we should definitely await instructions for that. Maybe we could even send some indicators, but if this is Biden’s last presidency, which it could be, that would be the end of 2024, which is typically when they do the pardons. They could do it anytime, but it is definitely two years. It is something that we would need to think about. That’s going to be the trajectory of our organization, besides all the little side projects, but that is our primary function, remember. Soon as we get more indication from Lynn and stuff like that, we definitely need to campaign mode.

Rizzn:
I’ll reach out to Lynn this week and get a sense of what they’re doing, because it’s very possible that this could be… Biden might not be running next term. I don’t know if they plan on making a Bush with Biden, or just waiting till the next viable candidate comes in, because Biden and Harris are both tough on crime people. At least that’s that’s their reputation in DC.

Jeremy:
It’s possible that we’re going to see a bunch of token clemencies of marijuana cases. There are still folks in the federal system serving time for marijuana, even in cases where in states where it’s legal. Point being is that there might be some surface level nod to prison reform and stuff like that, and you’re definitely going to see thousands of pardons, which is typical at the end of administration. If you want to look at the end of Obama and Biden administration last time around, they did pardon in thousands of people, the most in any prison’s history. Whether that’s going to include somebody like Ross is our mission. That’s our goal is to make sure he’s included in the list of cases being considered, because of the egregious atrocities and miscarriages of justice. We need to make sure that he’s included in that category. That actually could come before the end of his administration, but otherwise we’re looking at end of 2024.

Rizzn:
Jinxy, are you… If you had anything else to bring up, Jeremy, I don’t want to cut you off, but if not, I was going to see if Jinxy had anything she wanted to bring up at this stage.

Jinxy:
No, except for the… I want to see how we set our agenda. I have suggested the idea to the agenda for on the website for the [inaudible 00:23:05] but if having [inaudible 00:23:09] and we bring it up at the meeting. That was pretty much my only-

Rizzn:
Okay. Great. We may have gone through our agenda for the day, unless anybody has anything in general they want to bring up. It’s all that I have on my list to talk about, anyway.

Schlomo:
It’s been a very sweaty 100 degree week.I Think it’s just been mentally on my end.

Rizzn:
Oh yeah. This is the first day this week it’s been under 100 degrees. It’s 95 in Dallas right now.

Schlomo:
It’ll be today, once the day really starts picking up. This was awesome. Free Ross.

Rizzn:
Great. Let’s call it a day and free Ross Friday guys.

Prosper:
I don’t see anything else on the agenda, so free Ross, everybody.

Schlomo:
Free Ross Friday. Free Ross. Pipe, pipe, pipe. Pipe, pipe, pipe. Take care.

by | Jul 29, 2022 | community call, media | 0 comments

The CFTC’s suit against Ooki DAO sets a bad precedent

Good afternoon, friends! As you’ve probably noticed, circling the news this week has been the Commodities Futures Trading Commission...

The Ethereum Merge is here but could lead to censorship issues

The big Ethereum Merge update is finally here that has switched the blockchain from proof-of-work to proof-of-stake, which is worth...

Lack of sensible regulation and state-level clapback threatens blockchain innovation

There’s an old cliché that’s perhaps overused in the world of crypto: first, they mock you, then they fight you, and eventually, they join...